Best viewed with FireFox Browser

Monday, August 08, 2005

Farewell to an Exceptional Journalist

I grew up in the '60s watching elegant, intelligent Peter Jennings. I thought we would be watching him for some years to come. He has died too soon.When I was a young person, I grew up watching the news with Peter Jennings, Ted Koppel, Tom Brokaw, Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, Huntley & Brinkley, etc. etc. Those were the days when you had no idea what their political persuasion was (and you weren't supposed to be able to tell, unlike the people today); they reported the news--not made it up!

I am sad today and have cried at different times since hearing the news. I am sad for all of us who remember the good old days of reporting and the standard that was set by so many of these journalists and how now, the news media has become an industry of entertainment and not REAL important news. The trust that we had in the earlier days is not with us...but in Jennings and the others, we kept our faith. I am afraid that many of the younger generation are not concerned with the news and I feel they will not have the same type of good, fair and balanced journalists as in my day. What a damn shame...and a very scary thought.

Peter Jennings certainly made his mark as an exceptional journalist; someone who knew his stuff. I wasn't always happy with some of his reporting but I really felt he cared about life and the people in it. He is going to be truly missed and Journalism has lost a true icon. Thank you, Peter Jennings, for giving us your best.

Rest in peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger marrie said...

I too am saddened by the loss of Peter Jennings, and wrote about it on my blog last night. I was surprised too, I thought he'd be back on air.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home